Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My experience with Yoga.

I remember my first yoga experience. I'm pretty sure it was about 10 years ago. It was in the basement of a local church

. I completely remember feeling terrified as I had NO clue what I was getting into. I must admit that I did not fully enjoy my first term of yoga. My instructor was amazing, but I was impatient. I didn’t want to be slow learning the moves and what helps with what. I just wanted to do it DARN IT! Although I didn’t learn as much as I should have from that first session, the breathing techniques certainly helped with the birth of my second son.

A few years later after taking a year of reflexology I had a new appreciation for a lot of things. One of them was the breathing in yoga and the slow pace of learning moves properly. I went back and tried it again with the same instructor. This time was a different experience all together. I was patient. I learned. I stretched and breathed. I learned what moves helped with digestion and what aided sore backs. I loved every moment of it. What was different this time?

My ATTITUDE and I had GRATITUDE.

Again, attitude is everything. EVERYTHING. I shifted my attitude and slowed down and took the time to hear my instructor and her here words of wisdom. I did not brush her off this time. I listened, absorbed, and enjoyed the moments. When you learn to slow down and appreciate things change.

This lesson taught me a few things.

1. To slow down and enjoy the moment. Stop rushing.

2. Listen to those who are wise in their profession. We are always students.

3. Gratitude. Be thankful for the teachers and slowing down.

I think of her and the lessons she taught me every time I do yoga. Thank you Shanta, you truly do not know how you changed my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment