Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Freedom....

Today we remember those who have given their lives years ago and now so that we may live in freedom. Lest we forget.

I don't ever complain about anything now. Not the weather - I'm just glad we've got some. Not traffic, or too many people in line at the post office. Every morning when I wake up, I count my blessings that I'm healthy and that I was born and lived in this great country where we can make our dreams come true.

-Alan Bean, Astronaut on Apollo 12

My youngest son was excited today. For the first time in a long time our school had a full Remembrance Day Service. Normally they do something small, but today they were all asked to dress up and take part in this service. I asked him this morning why this was so special to him. His answer floored me and made realize how much children REALLY do listen to you. He said because when Papa and I (mom) talk about Great Grandpa we always talk about how he was in the war and because I've(mom) talked about my friends that are currently serving overseas in the war. Now I don't talk about this a lot, so you know it is something that he took hold of and listened too. He said he was proud to dress up to think about Great Grandpa Rhodes. Floored me. Just floored me. I had never met my Grandpa Rhodes and this out of a mouth of a 7 year old.

So today if you haven't already and even if you have. Pause, reflect and remember that there are those who gave their lives so we can have freedom. There are those who are still giving their lives, time and sacrifice so we can be free.

Thank you just does not seem like enough, but from the bottom of our hearts. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment