So how much water should one drink?
General (apparently) rule of thumb: take you body weight in lbs/2 (divide by 2) = daily intake of H2O in ounces! No joke!!!!
- Drink one to two cups of fluid at least one hour before the start of exercise.
- Drink four to eight ounces of fluid every 10 to 15 mins or so during exercise.
- Drink an additional eight ounces of fluid within 30 mins after exercising.
- Drink two cups of fluid for every pound of body weight lost after exercise. (darn eh)
- Both caffeine and alcohol can have a diuretic effect, so be sure to compensate for this additional water loss. (drink at least an equal amount of water)
- When travelling on an airplane, it is a good idea to drink eight ounces of water for every hour you are on board the plane.